Thursday, March 1, 2007

What goes around comes around...

I'm going to a wedding shower this weekend. Last week I missed a baby shower but I sent a nice gift.

Now that I've had a few major events / experiences under my belt I'm finding myself exponentially more empathetic, sympathetic, enthusiastic etc about other people's crap too.

For a long time I didn't feel like I could relate to alot of what people were saying or doing. On the outside with my nose pressed up against the glass. I didn't know what it was like to plan a wedding, or have a sick parent or sick kid or sick dog or close a deal on a house or comprimise with a partner. Now I can see that alot coming down the pipe for us, and now I NEED that information, and I want to talk about it - incessantly. I feel like a schmuck for not being more excited for other people when this was going on for them. Please forgive me, some of it was thinly veiled jealousy, some of it was plain old lack of experience and maturity.

I've learned a lesson in the last couple of years - you never know who is going to have useful information for you later on, so you better be nice to everyone. Maybe its retro-actively appreciating the friend who stayed home with her kids and turned out well behaved, beautiful children. Or not waiting until you need your passport signed to acknowledging the sacrifice made by the one who missed the party nights out because they were working on an MBA or CA or EMT or P.Eng, or saving up for something big. Savoring all the little parts of someone's invitation. Making a big deal out of someone's jewellry, or skill or recommendation. Sending a little card or remembering a birthday. Geography means nothing.

Everyone has a purpose, sometimes its not always obvious who be the person by your side in a special moment. Likewise, you never know who you will influence with your behaviour. Someone might meet you and want to be just like you, or nothing like you. Your reaction to them could shape a little part of how they feel about themselves, good or bad.

TMOTS = Be nice to each other.

No comments: