Friday, June 29, 2007

Ultrasound: Like tapping on the aquarium glass...

We had an ultrasound on Monday, which was pretty interesting experience. Andrew was with me for this one. The first one I had there wasn't really much to see except a pulsating peanut.
This time, there was WAY more to see. Arms and legs waving, hiccups, a head with eyes and a nose and mouth. Way more than a pulsating peanut.

Of course after I had a few moments of wonder and amazement I immediatly starting scoping out to see if I could see any dangler for a early determination of gender, and then scanning to see if I could detect any obvious problems with my Google medical degree. Two arms. Check. Two legs. Check check. Head. Check.
The sonographer was a very pleasant muslim lady who had a total poker face the entire time, she was calm, cracking a little joke here and there but I'm sure they are trained not to shriek in horror or gush all over someone and tell them its the most perfect fetus they've ever seen.
In order to get the shot they were looking for (the ultrasound was for a very routine test that measures something in the neck to identify genetic abnormalities) I had to get up and do a few belly dance moves to make junior change from its nice relaxed lounge chair position, when I got back on the table, it was upside down, and PISSED. Lots of flailing.

We thought it was amazing. We think the picture is brilliant and crisp and shows everything in perfect detail, we could see more on the screen, I swear. When we show it to other people they have to squint and stare and turn it on its end and then they say .....Oh....Iiiiiii see now.
Its like a magic eye poster. (or they are just being polite).

No comments: