Monday, June 4, 2007

I feel so bad for little old men...

There is a little old man I see on my way to work every day. He's very little. He lives in a neat little bungalow with an impeccably groomed yard, and he always has on a clean pair of pants, a pressed shirt and suspenders. He looks like a little old farmer who is in his good clothes visiting town for the day.

He's obviously very capable of looking after himself, he looks healthy and he always has a steady stream of people walking their dogs and pushing their strollers and fellow yard people chatting with him. What makes me really sad is I'm pretty sure that he lives alone and when he goes in the house he's by himself most of the time. He seems so happy and animated when he's talking to people but sometimes I drive by when he's alone and he looks like he's just waiting and wishing for someone else to come along and talk to him.

Mostly its because I think about how lonely my own husband gets if he's left alone for a few hours and I can't bear to think of him alone.

Old ladies are tough old broads, when I see an old woman I tend to have respect for her and think she's probably taken a lickin' and kept on tickin'. They get snarky. Most women I know long for people to leave them alone, time to themselves..they don't want to be alone all of the time so they call girlfriends or join little clubs. Old men seem to get rumpled, isolated and eat canned beans and start to shrink without women in their lives.

Women (I think) are a little tougher than men and a little better at taking their lumps. Women can take the crap in life and make a crappy quilt and fluff a lumpy bed and make the best of it. Men practically kill themselves working to change stuff. And sometimes its all that work not for anything better, just for something different. Silly boys.

Bottom line is, I seem to be fine with my getting old, but the thought of my husband getting old and being lonely, wandering around in the front yard every morning hoping people will talk to him for a little while just makes me want to eat more fiber and take my vitamins and live forever to save him that fate.

No comments: