Friday, June 8, 2007

Antiques Roadshow Fantasy Brought To Life....


So today I was contacted by the auction company and asked if I was interested in re-selling my little painting that I bought at the last auction.

Apparently there was another interested buyer who missed out on it and gave them a big sob story about how it looks just like their family cottage, blah blah blah and they missed it when it came up for bidding. "They don't care how much, they REALLY want it"

Reality check. I'm sure they don't really mean they would pay anything for it. They are probably thinking $50. I like it more than $50. I sat through ALOT of boring little china figurines and teacups waiting for it and I was expecting more competition for it.

Another little known tidbit about this painting. It looks just like a Kathleen Morris or Nora Collyer style of painting and I loved that about it as soon as I saw it. http://www.klinkhoff.com/beaver-hall-ex/index.html.en The last Collyer I saw go up for auction went for over $100k. That's One Hundred Thousand Dollars.

Art doesn't need to be expensive. No one should ever buy art that they don't love, no matter what its 'worth'. If you love something, don't worry about 'what it goes with', just get it and you will find a place for it. Above all else art should make you feel something when you look at it. I got my painting for $15 and it makes me just as happy as the 100k Collyer.

Knowing that someone else is still thinking about my painting reaffirms for me that its a great piece, and exactly the kind of thing that me and my guests will enjoy looking at for a long time.

That said, if I found out its a rare 100k painting that has been lost for 50 years, that sucker is out the door and we're buying a house.

No comments: