Monday, August 20, 2007

YOU PEOPLE never...

My mother and I have been chatting alot lately about children and child rearing lately. My mother is the type to never come right out and say 'YOU SHOULD". She will say.

"Well, YOU PEOPLE (meaning my brothers and I) NEVER did that."

Examples of what 'us people' did and didn't do...
  • YOU PEOPLE had to take turns watching what you wanted to watch on TV, there were 6 people in the house and one TV for everyone.
  • YOU PEOPLE said please and thank you and knew your place with adults - down the totem pole where you belong.
  • YOU PEOPLE weren't allowed to "gallavant the streets at night" (for most people this was going to a 7 o'clock show, not 'gallavanting')
  • YOU PEOPLE weren't allowed to touch what wasn't yours. I never put any of my nice things away, and we could take YOU PEOPLE anywhere and you weren't savages.
  • Mostly it was just "YOU PEOPLE were just TOLD....blah blah blah and you just did it".
When its something that she as a mother probably should not have let us get away with, she blames it on my father. Well, your father would never....so we didn't.

Examples of what my father would never do...(and still won't)
  • Eat vegetables, tropical fruit like plums or peaches, just apples and bananas. No noodles in any kind of 'exotic' shape other than spaghetti or rice in any other context besides Chinese food.
  • Let us watch M.A.S.H. or anything else that may be on while 'his news or his show' was on.
  • Give a shit what anyone else had or was doing, whether it was good or bad.
  • Pass by a Tasty Treat without stopping or limit options once we were there.
  • Be able to keep a surprise a secret even if you duck taped his mouth shut.

No comments: