Sunday, August 26, 2007

Ronry, I so ronry...

Andrew has been away since last Sunday, taking son #1 camping in the Rockies. I'm glad that they went, 15 is a tough crowd, there are alot of distractions at that age. Its hard to find things to do with him that we all enjoy. He's not hard to please, his ideal weekend would be a trip to Futureshop for a new game, followed by a fine meal of foot long subs or chicken fingers. After dinner, he'd let out a burp of appreciation, takes his socks off, crack his knuckles and slip away into XBOX land for as long as we will let him go. He's happy as a clam, you barely know there is a kid in the house. Which is not exactly what we're looking for when we've been looking forward to having a kid in the house. So when he shows any interest in anything that is not video games, we go with it and hope it sticks.

I tell Andrew that having a teenage boy around has taught me lots about what to appreciate about having a baby boy. Things like to get in as much hugging and kissing and cuddling as we can before he cuts us off at around 10 or 11. Or cherishing when he looks at you like you're a ROCK STAR when he's 4 because by the time they're 14, that look is replaced by eye rolling and they think you're a big dork unless you happen to have a super cool job like blowing up stuff or shooting things.

Anyway, its important that they get the man time alone together. Normally I enjoy having the house to myself and a break from cooking supper and shaving my legs. But this has been a weird week of scary nightmares, weird noises that I can't blame on Andrew (our house is about 100 years old, so when the weather changes the house creak), dealing with intruders - the squirrels get aggressive around now and do things like try and gang bang the garbage cans or cling to the kitchen window screen. I've also had no one to show all the neat stuff I've been dragging home and the baby has been moving around which is really weird and exciting and although I have friends here they are all prego too and like 'Oh yeah, I've had that for weeks'.... Andrew also compliments me alot, and it kind of sucks to get dressed in the morning and not have anyone tell me I look nice. Or that supper was good (he actually wouldn't be thrilled with all the take out this week). I've had no one to spoil or bug.

I'm glad the boys had a good time on their camping trip, I hope it was good enough that they'll want to do them for many years to come, its fun to think about Cody at 30 and Andrew at 50 and the new critter at 15 heading out for an annual man trip, but I have learned this week that I am no longer cut out to be home alone for more than a week at a time. I can't wait for him to get home.

No comments: