Thursday, January 18, 2007

Belly Dancing Wife


So, its been awhile since I blogged - I forgot my password and username. I am not one of these people who goes on holidays and checks the work email just in case. I am the type of person who flushes their brain clean and forgets my passcode to get into the building and I get locked out of my computer because I try every known variation of my old cat's name to try and get the right password and I forget people's names. But I digress.

<- This is not me in this picture.

I have signed up for belly dancing classes. I have had two classes so far. Love them. Its brilliant. For anyone who is interested in a way to trick yourself into exersizing and let all your mid-life gut hang out in a fun, warm, accepting environment, this is the place for you too. My class is two hours long and by the end my arms are burning, my abs are burning (under all that fat) and my legs are a little jello-y.

There are props and accessories - everyone wears a sparkly, jingly hip scarf, we play with veils and baskets and are currently learning the 'Jungle Dance'. We are encouraged to make our own gaudy costumes from glitter and old prom dresses. The instructor brought in one of hers and we all gathered around it like a bunch of trout looking at a shiny lure. The instructor is a little bit wacky and enthusiastic. She has flaming, messy red hair and she wears all pink all of the time and every item of clothing has a bit of glitter somewhere on it. Its like being taught by a fully grown 4 year old who's been deprived of an audience for awhile.

Thankfully, the classroom has no mirrors, so no one is worrying about what they look like. Most of the other ladies are between 30-50 and there to have fun. The only one who looks really silly in the class is the woman who is fighting it, everyone else just dives in and shakes what they got and its pretty fun.

Here's the basic rules.


  • Its supposed to be a little cheesy and silly.

  • Only one thing is supposed to jiggle at a time (unless it comes in a pair)

  • Smile - no one likes a crabby pants, belly dancers are supposed to be jolly.

  • Don't jiggle or shimmy too slow or it looks dirty.

  • You must let your gut hang out for some moves to be executed properly.

  • Nothing is too shiny, sparkly, noisy or over the top for a costume.

My husband thinks this is a great idea, this belly dancing thing. He was downright giddy when I told him I had signed up for it and runs to the door like a dog when I get home to find out what I learned.


As a treat, I am taking him to a belly dancing extravaganza in a couple weeks. I anticipate will be the cheeziest night out we've ever had, but possibly one of the funnest. It starts with with a big buffet and is followed by a night of belly dancing of all sorts. He's pretty excited.

No comments: